Author Topic: The new board is nice  (Read 416 times)

Offline Redberry the Vicious

• Beans counter
  • TZT legend (seek help)
    • View Profile
The new board is nice
« on: April 20, 2017, 07:59:37 PM »
Good job updating Utumno

Online Utumnoberry the Berry Big

• Head Badmin
  • Administrator
  • TZT legend (seek help)
    • View Profile
Re: The new board is nice
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2017, 09:50:29 PM »
 :finger:

"Life passes most people by while they're making grand plans for it" - movie quote recently stolen from BigKB

“There is always an easy solution to every human problem — neat, plausible and wrong.” - H. L. Mencken

Offline Havlen the Scribe

• Whored?
  • TZT abuser
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2017, 09:51:10 PM »
It's not that great.  I was getting errors earlier today. 

• Head Badmin
  • Administrator
  • TZT legend (seek help)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2017, 09:54:38 PM »
 :finger:

"Life passes most people by while they're making grand plans for it" - movie quote recently stolen from BigKB

“There is always an easy solution to every human problem — neat, plausible and wrong.” - H. L. Mencken

Offline Shoelayceberry the [Unlaced]

• Quantum of Shoelace
  • Administrator
  • TZT legend (seek help)
  • Would you like some making **** BERSERKER!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2017, 11:14:55 PM »
 :evil:
“At least once every human should have to run for his life, to teach him that milk does not come from supermarkets, that safety does not come from policemen, that “news” is not something that happens to other people.” - Robert Heinlein, The Number of the Beast.

"Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness, that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, and fabulous? Actually, who are you NOT to be? You are a child of God. Your playing small doesn't serve the world. There's nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won't feel insecure around you. We were born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us; it's in everyone. And as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. As we are liberated from our own fears, our presence automatically liberates others." - Nelson Mandela 1994 Inaugural Speech

Offline Skars the Everposting

• SHAMLOCK THE WISE
  • TZT legend (seek help)
  • I never troll
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2017, 05:21:48 AM »
looks the same to me???

• Whored?
  • TZT abuser
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2017, 10:16:06 AM »
Yeah, it was pretty cool how he installed all our old templates.

• Head Badmin
  • Administrator
  • TZT legend (seek help)
    • View Profile

Online Agrul

• Speed of Wolf
  • TZT legend (seek help)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2017, 10:57:09 AM »
how did utumno throw this together so fast ???
Irony punctuation is any proposed form of notation used to denote irony or sarcasm in text. Written English lacks a standard way to mark irony, and several forms of punctuation have been proposed. Among the oldest and most frequently attested are the percontation point proposed by English printer Henry Denham in the 1580s, and the irony mark, used by Marcellin Jobard and French poet Alcanter de Brahm during the 19th century. Both marks take the form of a reversed question mark, "⸮".

Offline Jackpanel

• Michael Jordan (baseball) of Everquest
  • TZT abuser
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2017, 11:14:01 AM »
Where's the "Delete all my posts" button?  I can't seem to find it.

• Whored?
  • TZT abuser
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2017, 11:40:39 AM »
Where's the "Delete all my posts" button?  I can't seem to find it.

This upgrade sucks 8(

Offline Sear, Just Sear

• Neckbeard's Advocate
  • TZT legend (seek help)
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2017, 12:03:54 PM »
I'm just glad we preserved our precious history

speaking as someone who lives in a landfill and hoards cats, it's very important to me

Offline Kanmukberry of the Cudgel

• Enjoys pie and video games all rolled into one
  • TZT abuser
  • Yes
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2017, 01:50:16 PM »
If we didn't have archives of useless history that four people probably checked one every six years, then how would our board have meaning?

We are all Utumno's children.  We are his legacy. 

Offline Sear, Just Sear

• Neckbeard's Advocate
  • TZT legend (seek help)
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2017, 02:42:54 PM »

• Head Badmin
  • Administrator
  • TZT legend (seek help)
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2017, 03:03:38 PM »
 :finger: :finger: :finger:

Offline Tulionberry the Enforcer

• I vant to drink your menstrual blood
  • TZT legend (seek help)
  • Spamaton Will Rise Again
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2017, 03:07:18 PM »

Offline Skars the Everposting

• SHAMLOCK THE WISE
  • TZT legend (seek help)
  • I never troll
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2017, 06:17:34 PM »
If we didn't have archives of useless history that four people probably checked one every six years, then how would our board have meaning?

We are all Utumno's children.  We are his legacy.

very true. HISTORY is what EVERQUEST is all about

• Beans counter
  • TZT legend (seek help)
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2017, 05:04:44 PM »
What a great idea it was to keep all the years of bullshit. I mean everyone is super supportive of the decision.

• Head Badmin
  • Administrator
  • TZT legend (seek help)
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2017, 05:07:39 PM »
What a great idea it was to keep all the years of bullshit. I mean everyone is super supportive of the decision.

i know ur just busting my balls but aside from Sear (who I actually understand sorta) I can't figure out if/why you care.  Most people either don't care or actually want to keep the history if possible.  (Also ppl sending me messages directly saying that because I don't know why).

• Head Badmin
  • Administrator
  • TZT legend (seek help)
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2017, 05:08:54 PM »
also i do appreciate the nudge though i think i will go w/xenforo (it's been growing on me as i've been using their board on occasion) - already have a test server going, just haven't had time to do the full import yet, hopefully next weekend.

• Beans counter
  • TZT legend (seek help)
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 23, 2017, 05:14:16 PM »

• Whored?
  • TZT abuser
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 23, 2017, 05:15:14 PM »
My guess is that most people posting in the thread are 100% joking and don't care much if the board is upgraded one way or the other or this year or next.  I may be wrong.  Agrul seemed pretty close to going postal.  But we all know how emotional he is.

• Beans counter
  • TZT legend (seek help)
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 23, 2017, 05:16:06 PM »
It's just weird to me why anyone would be attached to this bullshit

• TZT abuser
  • Yes
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 23, 2017, 06:43:23 PM »
I'm just fucking with you, because your valuation of TZT's archived history is insane.

I do, however, actually side with Searyx and think you should give him a chance to delete his posting history, if such a thing is actually possible.  He shouldn't have to be forever tied to potentially harmful posts he made when he was a 22 year old dumbass in order to preserve an overly inflated valuation of TZT's worthless history that people almost never (by their own admission) go through. 

I actually know fuck all about the situation, though, and maybe I completely am grossly misinterpreting it. 

Offline Velox

• TZT addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 23, 2017, 07:13:38 PM »
I have no strong opinion either way, and I know nothing of Searyx circumstances, but perhaps another solution would be to remove specific offending posts if manageable. If there is no irl identifying info, you could also make a new account and possibly change the name of the old one. Just deleting entire posting histories might end up making a large portion of the threads even more incomprehensible. At some point it will reduce the value of having a history in the first place, although how much that is worth to people is perhaps debatable.

• Head Badmin
  • Administrator
  • TZT legend (seek help)
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 23, 2017, 07:19:15 PM »
Yeah actually already sent him a message earlier today about that.  Also spent some time with import process, going better than expected so far.

Offline Sear, Just Sear

• Neckbeard's Advocate
  • TZT legend (seek help)
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 23, 2017, 10:41:52 PM »
not gonna wait another 4 weeks for a PM response, so I'll just reply here

Offering to delete specific posts doesn't help me. You guys offered the same thing when I bugged you about it a few years ago. I appreciate that, but the problem is that I have to spend 60+ hours combing my entire post history (+ editing & PM'ing) when I just want all of my stuff nuked. I'm not exaggerating on that ~60 hour figure, either. It takes a long fucking time to go through tens of thousands of posts.

In any event, it's a massive amount of my time wasted to accomplish what takes one click from you (delete user -> include threads/posts). I'm asking for this once as someone who has been contributing here for 17 years.

The principle makes no sense to me, Utumno. Even if my old posts actually have some bearing on the "appeal of maintaining the board" for you, it makes even less sense if you're just forcing me to edit in dead links or "." as a ghetto-delete.

I like posting here, but I'm done if that is the only option. I'll skip the rage and meltdown exit drama.

Online Agrul

• Speed of Wolf
  • TZT legend (seek help)
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 23, 2017, 10:49:57 PM »
i dont see why we should deny one poster his dream of pretending he wasnt an even bigger asshole

delete seary's history imo
Irony punctuation is any proposed form of notation used to denote irony or sarcasm in text. Written English lacks a standard way to mark irony, and several forms of punctuation have been proposed. Among the oldest and most frequently attested are the percontation point proposed by English printer Henry Denham in the 1580s, and the irony mark, used by Marcellin Jobard and French poet Alcanter de Brahm during the 19th century. Both marks take the form of a reversed question mark, "⸮".

• Whored?
  • TZT abuser
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 24, 2017, 01:34:05 AM »
Is there anything to be gained by not deleting?  Not sure what the big deal is here.  Other than having some threads that have a 'post is deleted' thread, not sure why not.

• TZT abuser
  • Yes
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 24, 2017, 09:17:33 AM »
I'm sympathetic to the act that TZT's history, whether the value is inflated to you or not, is part of what motivates you to maintain the board.  You have shouldered the cost and workload of TZT, and the idea of permanence - having something tangible to show for all your work - isn't going to matter to us in the way that it is to you.

But I think that the meaning you get from it is somewhat illusory and detached from the utility value the history provides.   The community sustaining and social value of this board depends basically zero percent on maintaining a history beyond a few months (i.e. it is NOT "Just a chatroom") and the nostalgia/memory value of our history is mitigated by the fact pretty much everyone seems to acknowledge they almost never check it.

So is maintaining this illusion of value A) necessary for you to continue to maintain the board (and if so, why?), and B) is it worth causing distress to board members?  Or even being potentially harmful (although I doubt anyone is going to have their positing history mined, it is possible, I guess).

My positing history is pretty benign, so I don't have much to worry about even if someone DID want to mine my history here.  But I am sympathetic to people who are worried about content they produced when they were insecure, stupid kids coming back to bite them now that they live in the real world. 

On a personal note, although I don't think this should really factor into any decisions being made, Searyx is the biggest reason I post here.  Combine him with you (Utumno) and Agrul, and that trio makes up literally 100% of the reason I started posting here again.  My other friends barely post here anymore.   So, on a personal level, I hope you can figure out a way to accommodate Searyx.