Author Topic: are discrete sound cards worth it? which ones?  (Read 192 times)

Online Agrul

• Speed of Wolf
  • TZT legend (seek help)
    • View Profile
are discrete sound cards worth it? which ones?
« on: March 26, 2017, 11:53:40 AM »
does anyone have opinions on these
Irony punctuation is any proposed form of notation used to denote irony or sarcasm in text. Written English lacks a standard way to mark irony, and several forms of punctuation have been proposed. Among the oldest and most frequently attested are the percontation point proposed by English printer Henry Denham in the 1580s, and the irony mark, used by Marcellin Jobard and French poet Alcanter de Brahm during the 19th century. Both marks take the form of a reversed question mark, "⸮".

Offline Utumnoberry the Berry Big

• Head Badmin
  • Administrator
  • TZT legend (seek help)
    • View Profile
Re: are discrete sound cards worth it? which ones?
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2017, 11:51:37 PM »
my sound blaster xfi paired with a good pair of sennheiser headphones make for ridiculously good listening.

but unless you've got really great speakers or headphones, the discrete sound card probably isn't going to be a game changer.

Also sound blaster has always had garbage software so I probably would not but them again.  there are cheaper/better sound card options (I'd probably look at some Amazon reviews and cross check with review articles)

"Life passes most people by while they're making grand plans for it" - movie quote recently stolen from BigKB

“There is always an easy solution to every human problem — neat, plausible and wrong.” - H. L. Mencken

Online Agrul

• Speed of Wolf
  • TZT legend (seek help)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2017, 08:22:02 AM »
you notice the difference, i take it?

and yeah i've read that rlly good speakers and/or headphones are necessary for the sound card to be worthwhile

it also sounds like nice motherboards (which mine probably qualifies as) tend to have pretty decent on-board sound so the delta will likely be smaller than if i had my old shit PC or something

a # of the audio ppl at tom's hardware were basically advising individuals not to purchase sound cards unless they know they're audiophiles and know they'll notice the improvement, or if they produce music or something. i dick around w/ this 88 key keyboard at home & im slowly learning to use this DAWS for makin music but who knows how long i'll keep at it or if my level of enthusiasm justifies a discrete card purchase

i guess an ok card + speakers would be like $300-$500 together? im rlly curious if the difference would be noticeable. i have for example noticed some soft white noise coming out've my current cheapo ($10 usb) speakers + mobo sound whenever i do anything computationally fancy. ive read that that may be due to the mobo sound picking up electrical noise from other components and that  asound card may not have the same problem but idk
« Last Edit: March 27, 2017, 08:29:14 AM by Agrul »
Irony punctuation is any proposed form of notation used to denote irony or sarcasm in text. Written English lacks a standard way to mark irony, and several forms of punctuation have been proposed. Among the oldest and most frequently attested are the percontation point proposed by English printer Henry Denham in the 1580s, and the irony mark, used by Marcellin Jobard and French poet Alcanter de Brahm during the 19th century. Both marks take the form of a reversed question mark, "⸮".

Offline Sear, Just Sear

• Neckbeard's Advocate
  • TZT legend (seek help)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2017, 07:09:01 PM »
"are discrete sound cards worth it?"

you tell me, KID

anything less than the Creative Soundblaster Pro 2.0 Xtreme Opus paired with a Voodoo 3D Banshee 2MB to play the latest state of the art 32-bit video games is just CHILD'S PLAY

if you want to FEEL THE POWER of blast processing, you better upgrade to the NEXT LEVEL

Offline Shoelayceberry the [Unlaced]

• Quantum of Shoelace
  • Administrator
  • TZT legend (seek help)
  • Would you like some making **** BERSERKER!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2017, 05:38:54 PM »
awesome.
“At least once every human should have to run for his life, to teach him that milk does not come from supermarkets, that safety does not come from policemen, that “news” is not something that happens to other people.” - Robert Heinlein, The Number of the Beast.

"Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness, that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, and fabulous? Actually, who are you NOT to be? You are a child of God. Your playing small doesn't serve the world. There's nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won't feel insecure around you. We were born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us; it's in everyone. And as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. As we are liberated from our own fears, our presence automatically liberates others." - Nelson Mandela 1994 Inaugural Speech

Online Agrul

• Speed of Wolf
  • TZT legend (seek help)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2017, 09:08:33 PM »
i see myself in those 2 brave lads

Offline Sear, Just Sear

• Neckbeard's Advocate
  • TZT legend (seek help)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2017, 09:33:59 PM »
that's John Romero & John Carmack, so you could do a lot worse

• Head Badmin
  • Administrator
  • TZT legend (seek help)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2017, 10:48:32 PM »

holy shit i didn't realize it was them.... that's hilarious

"Life passes most people by while they're making grand plans for it" - movie quote recently stolen from BigKB

“There is always an easy solution to every human problem — neat, plausible and wrong.” - H. L. Mencken

Online Agrul

• Speed of Wolf
  • TZT legend (seek help)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2017, 09:19:58 AM »
is it just me or does listening 2 different sound cards play DOOM sound on my integrated single sound card not make very much sense

this is clearly a flawed test of DOOM sounds

& there4 cannot answer ym question

is da discrete sound carda worth it ????

Offline Shoelayceberry the [Unlaced]

• Quantum of Shoelace
  • Administrator
  • TZT legend (seek help)
  • Would you like some making **** BERSERKER!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2017, 01:13:35 PM »

holy shit i didn't realize it was them.... that's hilarious
“At least once every human should have to run for his life, to teach him that milk does not come from supermarkets, that safety does not come from policemen, that “news” is not something that happens to other people.” - Robert Heinlein, The Number of the Beast.

"Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness, that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, and fabulous? Actually, who are you NOT to be? You are a child of God. Your playing small doesn't serve the world. There's nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won't feel insecure around you. We were born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us; it's in everyone. And as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. As we are liberated from our own fears, our presence automatically liberates others." - Nelson Mandela 1994 Inaugural Speech

• Head Badmin
  • Administrator
  • TZT legend (seek help)
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2017, 12:55:32 AM »
So my Soundblaster Z just died (I looooooved the sound quality with my Sennheiser cans, but drivers gave me a lot of problems and it finally just shit itself after a power outage.)

I bought this after reading reviews - my first external DAC/AMP - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00LP3AMC2

Sounds fuckin great.

Online Agrul

• Speed of Wolf
  • TZT legend (seek help)
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2017, 11:26:35 AM »
i've been reading that external DACs are generally preferable to internal sound cards. a bit disappointing bc i want my pc to LOOK REALLY KEWL WITH ALL THE CARDS but it makes sense

do you need nice speakers to complement the DAC?

Online Agrul

• Speed of Wolf
  • TZT legend (seek help)
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2017, 04:47:16 PM »
i get the sense that most high-end speakers already contain DACs

so maybe the answer is u just spend money on speakers and fuck the cards/DACs????

????

utumno when i didnt answer tayrn's question in gd u called me out but now ur not answering my question tech heads is filled with hypocrites and u should all be banned

• Head Badmin
  • Administrator
  • TZT legend (seek help)
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2017, 10:36:18 PM »
i have pretty crappy speakers but the headset i use is pretty nice and i the sound w/this DAC is p amazing.

I have Sennheiser pc 363d

Online Agrul

• Speed of Wolf
  • TZT legend (seek help)
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2017, 08:41:26 AM »
i think i'd rather buy uber speakers than an uber headset

• Head Badmin
  • Administrator
  • TZT legend (seek help)
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2017, 08:25:04 PM »
i think i'd rather buy uber speakers than an uber headset
in a world where I had infinite money and lived alone where I could turn my shit up without any thought, I'd say the same thing

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Online Agrul

• Speed of Wolf
  • TZT legend (seek help)
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2017, 08:32:52 PM »
i think i can get away with it

floors seem to be pretty thick concrete in my building, and my room sits on the corner of the 10th floor so i have minimal immediate exposure to other apartments