Author Topic: 1984  (Read 159 times)

Offline Agrul

• Speed of Wolf
  • TZT legend (seek help)
    • View Profile
« on: February 19, 2017, 09:02:25 AM »
this is much less interesting so far than i had hoped

both the satirical world-building & level of the prose seem aimed at 6th graders

but i will carry on
Irony punctuation is any proposed form of notation used to denote irony or sarcasm in text. Written English lacks a standard way to mark irony, and several forms of punctuation have been proposed. Among the oldest and most frequently attested are the percontation point proposed by English printer Henry Denham in the 1580s, and the irony mark, used by Marcellin Jobard and French poet Alcanter de Brahm during the 19th century. Both marks take the form of a reversed question mark, "⸮".

Offline Globalberry the Medic

• I have to show ID to get into a PG-13 movie
  • TZT abuser
    • View Profile
Re: 1984
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2017, 10:18:01 AM »
I read through it a couple of years ago, had essentially the same reaction

Offline Agrul

• Speed of Wolf
  • TZT legend (seek help)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2017, 12:00:15 PM »
it reminds me a lot of Ayn Rand's Anthem
Irony punctuation is any proposed form of notation used to denote irony or sarcasm in text. Written English lacks a standard way to mark irony, and several forms of punctuation have been proposed. Among the oldest and most frequently attested are the percontation point proposed by English printer Henry Denham in the 1580s, and the irony mark, used by Marcellin Jobard and French poet Alcanter de Brahm during the 19th century. Both marks take the form of a reversed question mark, "⸮".

Offline AgelessDrifter

• Sometimes you just rent the monkey ffs
  • TZT legend (seek help)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2017, 01:01:22 PM »
I felt that way most of the time I was reading it, too, but once I had plowed past it and finished the whole book I felt like it had been worth it.

Offline Agrul

• Speed of Wolf
  • TZT legend (seek help)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2017, 04:09:00 AM »
god i hope that's true

this is looking like a tough slog

i may switch back to nonfiction or brave new world or something

Offline AgelessDrifter

• TZT legend (seek help)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2017, 11:11:49 AM »
Finish the book, pussy

Offline Harper, Just Harper

• Hillary's Nutcup
  • TZT addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2017, 01:42:42 PM »
I felt like it was pretty powerful when I was in 6th grade but perhaps now I'd hate it

would be neat to find out but reading is for faggots now

Offline Agrul

• Speed of Wolf
  • TZT legend (seek help)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2017, 07:07:44 AM »

Offline Agrul

• Speed of Wolf
  • TZT legend (seek help)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2017, 08:10:07 PM »
i got bored of this drek and went back to my cancer book

cancer > 1984

also i bought several asimov books from his supposed magnus opus. gawna try it out

Offline AgelessDrifter

• TZT legend (seek help)
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2017, 10:28:04 PM »
Foundation was ok but I have a suspicion it may grate on you.

What was going on in 1984 when you stopped reading?

Offline Agrul

• Speed of Wolf
  • TZT legend (seek help)
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2017, 06:39:11 AM »
just the stuff i mentioned above; it feels as if it's written for a much younger audience, and not in a good way

i will probably return to 1984 eventually just to finish it up and see if im missin out on something gr8, but it wasnt really holding my attention at all, and neuromancer had stolen me from the cancer book + i was eager to get back to it

Offline Agrul

• Speed of Wolf
  • TZT legend (seek help)
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2017, 08:17:55 AM »
why do u suspect foundation will gr8 on me

Offline AgelessDrifter

• TZT legend (seek help)
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2017, 01:18:04 AM »
just the stuff i mentioned above; it feels as if it's written for a much younger audience, and not in a good way

i will probably return to 1984 eventually just to finish it up and see if im missin out on something gr8, but it wasnt really holding my attention at all, and neuromancer had stolen me from the cancer book + i was eager to get back to it

No I mean what part of the book were you in--what was actually occurring in the story.

I dunno if it'll bother you (since you are able to enjoy Big Bang theory anything is possible) but the core story element of Foundation is that human behavior, viewed broadly, is governed by universal laws that can be used to make really specific predictions now and then. It's hard to suspend belief for.

I also had some complaints about the narrative structure of the book, now-definitely-impossible science fiction conceits aside, but I'd have to spoil the plot to talk about them.

Offline Agrul

• Speed of Wolf
  • TZT legend (seek help)
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2017, 06:32:57 AM »
i might be ok w/ that particular conceit. hyper-realism in all nuances isn't really important to me, but i have trouble stomaching extended caricature when it seems to infect most of a story's elements

i was pretty early on in 1984 still, probably not more than 50 pages in? w/ the edition i have being maybe like 200-300 pages, cant remember. for the last 40 pages or so the protag had been wandering around commenting on how fucked up his dystopia is, constantly referencing the Thought Police, talking about how shitty children are, uhh. that's about it - nothing had really happened yet, it's almost like we were in a very extended exposition of the world

Offline AgelessDrifter

• TZT legend (seek help)
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2017, 09:52:27 AM »
Oh. Yeah you should plow on, dude.

Offline Harper, Just Harper

• Hillary's Nutcup
  • TZT addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2017, 04:45:02 PM »
that's what ur mom said last night

Offline Agrul

• Speed of Wolf
  • TZT legend (seek help)
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2017, 02:23:18 PM »
i decided to move further back chronologically in the asimov series

gonna start w/ the 1st robots book

Offline AgelessDrifter

• TZT legend (seek help)
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2017, 04:28:08 PM »
Did you start Foundation and end up grated upon or was the decision spontaneous

Offline Agrul

• Speed of Wolf
  • TZT legend (seek help)
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2017, 05:25:30 PM »
whimsy

Offline Agrul

• Speed of Wolf
  • TZT legend (seek help)
    • View Profile

Offline Sifterberry the Kind

• TZT addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2017, 11:57:31 AM »
I've only read Foundation and some Asimov short stories.

Let us know how that one is pal