Author Topic: i finally bought all the stuff for my new PC  (Read 762 times)

Offline Agrul

• Speed of Wolf
  • TZT legend (seek help)
    • View Profile
Re: i finally bought all the stuff for my new PC
« Reply #90 on: March 04, 2017, 04:24:26 PM »
i've read i should do that stuff sear but i havent tried doing so yet. online i was reading you could maybe get the response lag from 60 ms down to 30 ms which would make the difference for some games but not others

incidentally it turns out there's no noticeable response lag in league because reasons ???. i have no idea what determines response lag at this point; it's horrendous with stepmania (open source ddr) but not there at all with league, even tho league is more graphically demanding than stepmania (altho both arent rlly graphically demanding ofc). both require fast reactions so i dunno

also i cannot for the life of me figure out how to tell league to switch from playing on my main monitor. windowed mode doesnt let me drag it around like a window, it just pops an annoiying menu border around the game

halp
Irony punctuation is any proposed form of notation used to denote irony or sarcasm in text. Written English lacks a standard way to mark irony, and several forms of punctuation have been proposed. Among the oldest and most frequently attested are the percontation point proposed by English printer Henry Denham in the 1580s, and the irony mark, used by Marcellin Jobard and French poet Alcanter de Brahm during the 19th century. Both marks take the form of a reversed question mark, "⸮".

Online Utumnoberry the Berry Big

• Head Badmin
  • Administrator
  • TZT legend (seek help)
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: March 04, 2017, 07:01:44 PM »
huehuehue

"Life passes most people by while they're making grand plans for it" - movie quote recently stolen from BigKB

“There is always an easy solution to every human problem — neat, plausible and wrong.” - H. L. Mencken

Offline Agrul

• Speed of Wolf
  • TZT legend (seek help)
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: March 05, 2017, 03:21:48 PM »
playing LoL on the 4K monitor is rlly different, took a lot of getting used to but it's good now. feels like im playing lol in an arcade or something. also my FPS jumped from 5-30 pre-new-PC to 350-450 now :grin: the major downside is now i cant take a shit while i load into game

unfortunately i keep looking at my case and i dont think there's any way to fit the GPU cooler into it unless i like literally dont use one of the sides, but that doesnt seem like a good solution (would accelerate dust buildup i assume). think i need a bigger case to add the GPU cooler in. there's actually just barely enough room on the back of my case for it and the tubing would fit through the PCI slot bays but the cooler is all one piece and neither end will fit thorugh them, and none of the remaining panels on the chassis seem to come off. all looks like one continuous piece of metal
Irony punctuation is any proposed form of notation used to denote irony or sarcasm in text. Written English lacks a standard way to mark irony, and several forms of punctuation have been proposed. Among the oldest and most frequently attested are the percontation point proposed by English printer Henry Denham in the 1580s, and the irony mark, used by Marcellin Jobard and French poet Alcanter de Brahm during the 19th century. Both marks take the form of a reversed question mark, "⸮".

• Head Badmin
  • Administrator
  • TZT legend (seek help)
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: March 05, 2017, 04:29:00 PM »
do you really plan on overclocking gpu?  i've never had to use a gpu cooler.

"Life passes most people by while they're making grand plans for it" - movie quote recently stolen from BigKB

“There is always an easy solution to every human problem — neat, plausible and wrong.” - H. L. Mencken

Offline Agrul

• Speed of Wolf
  • TZT legend (seek help)
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: March 05, 2017, 04:40:29 PM »
i havent decided tbh

regardless i think the GPU cooler will matter quite a bit when i eventually get a 2nd gtx 1080 (i want a 2nd one available to do my own compute on while the primary one drives actual graphics). even without overclocking two of them touching penises seem liable to generate a lot of heat, especially since there's no way to do that without one gpu's fans blowing onto the other gpu

i wonder how long this gpu cooler will be good if i just leave it in the packaging. like could i wait 6 months til i buy a 2nd gpu, 2nd gpu cooler, and new case & still have this one work?

Online Sear, Just Sear

• Neckbeard's Advocate
  • TZT legend (seek help)
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: March 05, 2017, 07:21:40 PM »
Is there an actual reason that anyone would need to overclock a Geforce GTX 1080?

I'm not familiar with the ways of your people, so help me understand.

I think agrul and Jxands are probably right

Offline Agrul

• Speed of Wolf
  • TZT legend (seek help)
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: March 05, 2017, 07:42:55 PM »
i think the gtx 1080 has pretty readily reachable gaming limitations if you go crazy enough, especially in 4K. just randomly googling about, this thread is all about a guy finding his gtx 1080 cant run gta v at max settings on a 4K monitor. blender also has gpu compute as a rendering option, and i'm bound to fuck up and make needlessly complex models as i practice. it's nice to have them runnable for as long as possible. the same is true for unity, especially when playing w/ procedural stuff

using a gpu for non-graphical computing also makes it really easy to run up against its limitations. this is a consideration for unity (which exposes the gpu for non-shader stuff via the DirectCompute API - could use this model realistic fluids in motion or the procedural motion of large armies or whatever) & maybe blender (not sure if blender's physics module can use the gpu, but if so then super relevant), & certainly for pet research projects; taking a hack at writing a branch and bound optimizer that primarily uses the cpu would be a project where gpu speed'd be an extremely scarce resource even, and a 1080'd be on the low end for that kinda testing (a research-grade card would be more appropriate)

also maybe bitcoin mining? i dont plan to do that, but that were the use case i guess you'd have to compare the electrical cost of the overclock (altho my utilities are included in my rent so i could dodge that) vs the increased rate of revenue

none of that's essential tho. i am mostly interested in liquid cooling the gpu for the reason i mentioned above to ut - because when i get a 2nd gpu i expect that sitting right on top of one another they will be much harder to keep happy

Offline Agrul

• Speed of Wolf
  • TZT legend (seek help)
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: March 05, 2017, 07:52:37 PM »
plus i alrdy have the damn gpu liquid cooler

ill be fuckin fucked if i ant gonna use it

• Head Badmin
  • Administrator
  • TZT legend (seek help)
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: March 05, 2017, 08:20:39 PM »
ways of your people lmao

Offline Agrul

• Speed of Wolf
  • TZT legend (seek help)
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: March 06, 2017, 10:08:46 AM »
evga salesperson hath sleepily confirmed dat my unopened gpu cooler will outlast the subterranean humanoid cockroaches that control trump's tweets

nerdcore infinity plan delta is a go

• Head Badmin
  • Administrator
  • TZT legend (seek help)
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: March 06, 2017, 03:54:53 PM »
One notable thing here is when things go wrong or  he has questions, Agrul speaks to tech support people and other humans to seek help and get confirmation.  I question your dedication to true neckbeard ways (i.e. avoiding any form of human contact and solely relying on google/forums).

Offline Agrul

• Speed of Wolf
  • TZT legend (seek help)
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: March 06, 2017, 04:10:25 PM »
i did a lot of googling too

but yah my refusal to ask for directions caps out at sub $2,000 purchases

my nerddom is weak like gragnaros during a triple solar flare

Offline Agrul

• Speed of Wolf
  • TZT legend (seek help)
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: March 09, 2017, 06:30:05 PM »
unpleasant side effect of beast PC:

my old computer loaded websites super slowly bc it did everything super slowly, and i could typically trick dumb sites like WaPo into letting me read articles even after my "free articles per month" quota had been reached just by telling the site to stop loading after the article had loaded in but before the 'fuck off pay us money' banner had loaded

w/ new computer the transition between those two events is rlly small and i cant hit it reliably FUCK

#fast computer problems

• Head Badmin
  • Administrator
  • TZT legend (seek help)
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: March 09, 2017, 06:59:47 PM »
dude you're hilarious

Offline cruoris

• TZT veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: March 13, 2017, 01:55:34 PM »
incognito mode, all the wapo or nyt you want..

• Head Badmin
  • Administrator
  • TZT legend (seek help)
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: March 13, 2017, 02:09:17 PM »
I just subscribed to NYT as a show of my support for Fake News.

Offline Shoelayceberry the [Unlaced]

• Quantum of Shoelace
  • Administrator
  • TZT legend (seek help)
  • Would you like some making **** BERSERKER!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: March 13, 2017, 04:16:07 PM »
thanks for sharing your struggles with us
“At least once every human should have to run for his life, to teach him that milk does not come from supermarkets, that safety does not come from policemen, that “news” is not something that happens to other people.” - Robert Heinlein, The Number of the Beast.

"Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness, that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, and fabulous? Actually, who are you NOT to be? You are a child of God. Your playing small doesn't serve the world. There's nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won't feel insecure around you. We were born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us; it's in everyone. And as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. As we are liberated from our own fears, our presence automatically liberates others." - Nelson Mandela 1994 Inaugural Speech

Offline Redberry the Vicious

• Beans counter
  • TZT legend (seek help)
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: March 13, 2017, 05:24:33 PM »
Agrul you are a beacon of hope for all neckbeards. Your courage and dedication to the box will ring in these halls for ages to come. I will summon your mighty​ spirit when it's time for my new box.

Offline Agrul

• Speed of Wolf
  • TZT legend (seek help)
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: March 14, 2017, 09:07:16 AM »
o neat cruororororis i never bothered to figure out what incognito mode does but that's good 2 know that fast computas can do what slow computas can do also

i will post some piktchas soon redley that u may burn the concentration of their cheeto dust into ur soul

Offline Agrul

• Speed of Wolf
  • TZT legend (seek help)
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: March 27, 2017, 08:30:59 PM »
my cpu runs really hot (nearly 100 deg Celsius) when i render images in blender :undecided:

ordered some new thermal paste, gonna try removing what's on the CPU cooler and replacing it, as i think i smudged some of it off when i was first confused and dicking around setting it up

if that doesn't fix it tho i will be a lil unsure what to do about it. 100 C is too hot for a process i do regularly

weirder still is that using GPU compute for rendering in blender doesn't affect how hot the CPU gets when rendering. it's like it's not actually usin da GPU at all :idiot2:

Offline Agrul

• Speed of Wolf
  • TZT legend (seek help)
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: March 28, 2017, 06:52:06 AM »
ahh blenders wasnt using my gpu after all, there are two separate places u gotta tell it 2 use a gpu for some reason. only very modest cpu temp increase when rendering on gpu now

still kinda want to try reseating the cpu cooler though, even when rendering entirely on cpu i dont think it should spike in temperature as badly as it was. wouldnt expect it to get above 70-80 C

Offline Agrul

• Speed of Wolf
  • TZT legend (seek help)
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: March 28, 2017, 06:35:35 PM »
tried reseating the cpu cooler, made sure everything was tight around both the backplate and the heat sink on the front. average temps are maybe a few degrees lower but i dont have as much shit open right now & i have the two side panels off of my chassis

and on the whole no real change in behavior, temperature still insta-spikes to 100C if i try to render in blender on CPU only. and presumably will do this with anything that drives CPU load to 100%. i would be fine just using my gpu to blender render but i'm suspicious some of the algorithms run in GIMP might behave similarly, as could doing directcompute stuff in unity or writing my own compute-hungry scripts. also rendering in blender won't work on the GPU if i exceed its RAM

got some shin etsu thermal compound coming in the mail on friday, from reading online it sounds like that's what was on the cpu cooler to begin with. so i'll apply that (2 the cpu or 2 the heat sink on the cpu cooler? i do not know) and hope it corrects the issue

if that doesnt work i guess i'll call intel and corsair and express ??? a lot on the phone
« Last Edit: March 28, 2017, 06:47:57 PM by Agrul »