Author Topic: neuromancer  (Read 183 times)

Online Agrul

• Speed of Wolf
  • TZT legend (seek help)
    • View Profile
neuromancer
« on: January 07, 2017, 12:25:11 AM »
getting into a sci fi kick i think

reading neuromancer for the first time now

first observation: dude seems to have made up the word 'buached'
Irony punctuation is any proposed form of notation used to denote irony or sarcasm in text. Written English lacks a standard way to mark irony, and several forms of punctuation have been proposed. Among the oldest and most frequently attested are the percontation point proposed by English printer Henry Denham in the 1580s, and the irony mark, used by Marcellin Jobard and French poet Alcanter de Brahm during the 19th century. Both marks take the form of a reversed question mark, "⸮".

Offline Shoelayceberry the [Unlaced]

• Quantum of Shoelace
  • Administrator
  • TZT legend (seek help)
  • Would you like some making **** BERSERKER!!!
    • View Profile
Re: neuromancer
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2017, 05:46:18 PM »
always wanted to read this. let me know how you like it.
“At least once every human should have to run for his life, to teach him that milk does not come from supermarkets, that safety does not come from policemen, that “news” is not something that happens to other people.” - Robert Heinlein, The Number of the Beast.

"Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness, that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, and fabulous? Actually, who are you NOT to be? You are a child of God. Your playing small doesn't serve the world. There's nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won't feel insecure around you. We were born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us; it's in everyone. And as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. As we are liberated from our own fears, our presence automatically liberates others." - Nelson Mandela 1994 Inaugural Speech

Offline Sear, Just Sear

• Neckbeard's Advocate
  • TZT legend (seek help)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2017, 07:24:23 PM »
love this book

It's written in kind of a stream-of-consciousness ADHD style, though. There were some times where I felt like there was very little exposition/explanation and I was left with a "wait... what the fuck is he talking about?" reaction, and it wasn't because my vocabulary was lacking. I could just imagine William Gibson inhaling a big line of coke and technobabbling a bit too fast.

but then he also has moments of brilliance with the vivid descriptions of cyberpunk cityscapes and memorable pulpy characters + his scifi concepts were so far ahead of the time that you have to respect it. The Matrix owes everything to Neuromancer, which preceded it by almost two decades.

I think agrul and Jxands are probably right

Offline Utumnoberry the Berry Big

• Head Badmin
  • Administrator
  • TZT legend (seek help)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2017, 07:46:49 PM »
i enjoyed it and see how it was a landmark book for its time but i also had rly high expectations so was kinda disappointed

"Life passes most people by while they're making grand plans for it" - movie quote recently stolen from BigKB

“There is always an easy solution to every human problem — neat, plausible and wrong.” - H. L. Mencken

Offline Naavi

• Shilling for PhRMA since 2009
  • TZTV Kingpin
  • TZT abuser
  • I'd rather us be strangers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2017, 02:47:25 AM »
I think its a good book but its so dry and dated feeling. Like i cant read scifi now unless its russian mmorpg lit now. I need the stats and level ups
fuck this board hard!

Offline Sifterberry the Kind

• TZT addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2017, 01:35:42 AM »
I loved this book when I read it 10 years ago. I wonder if I'd still like it now.

It has one of my favorite openings of any book.

"The sky was the color of television, tuned to a dead channel."

So dope

• TZT addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2017, 01:36:34 AM »
russian mmorpg lit

The fuck is this. Is this a real genre now?

Online Agrul

• Speed of Wolf
  • TZT legend (seek help)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2017, 05:37:27 PM »
almost done w/ it

not a book im having trouble putting down but a pretty decent read on the metro to work

lot more engrossing than i found the GoT books, although they had it working against them that i knew most of the plot before starting them
Irony punctuation is any proposed form of notation used to denote irony or sarcasm in text. Written English lacks a standard way to mark irony, and several forms of punctuation have been proposed. Among the oldest and most frequently attested are the percontation point proposed by English printer Henry Denham in the 1580s, and the irony mark, used by Marcellin Jobard and French poet Alcanter de Brahm during the 19th century. Both marks take the form of a reversed question mark, "⸮".

Offline Globalberry the Medic

• I have to show ID to get into a PG-13 movie
  • TZT abuser
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2017, 09:10:30 PM »
i enjoyed it and see how it was a landmark book for its time but i also had rly high expectations so was kinda disappointed

this is my problem with it, i've heard so much about it that every time i try to read it i expect to be blown away immediately, and i'm not, and i put it down and forget about it

i'm still thoroughly enjoying the expanse series, and the show just restarted which is pretty decent

Offline Sear, Just Sear

• Neckbeard's Advocate
  • TZT legend (seek help)
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2017, 12:01:27 AM »
lot more engrossing than i found the GoT books, although they had it working against them that i knew most of the plot before starting them

Storm of Swords is still the best fantasy book I've ever read

• TZT addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2017, 12:07:34 AM »
Are you gonna try reading Mona Lisa Overdrive next? I remember that being good too.

Online Agrul

• Speed of Wolf
  • TZT legend (seek help)
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2017, 08:06:28 AM »

Storm of Swords is still the best fantasy book I've ever read

i never got to the 3rd book; i quit 1.6 books in, figured if i didnt give a shit by then i wasnt gonna start

Are you gonna try reading Mona Lisa Overdrive next? I remember that being good too.

rather than stick to one author i recently ordered some random other sci fi classics; i think my very next one will probably be 1984 and/or brave new world in celebration of trump's ascendance to god emperor

but i'll put mona lisa overdrive in the queue, thx for the recommendation :smitten:

Online Agrul

• Speed of Wolf
  • TZT legend (seek help)
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2017, 08:49:36 PM »
finished neuromancer

was an a'right read

ending was kinda underwhelming

neat world it painted, though, & a few pretty intriguing characters

parallels to The Matrix are also all over the place

Offline Harper, Just Harper

• Hillary's Nutcup
  • TZT addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2017, 01:04:56 PM »
agrul, in my opinion, neuromancer was a good book and, i think, you are wrong

Offline Utumnoberry the Berry Big

• Head Badmin
  • Administrator
  • TZT legend (seek help)
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2017, 03:26:50 PM »
book was clearly overrated.

i wish AD had read it so he could post and express the proper degree of unimpressed'ness

"Life passes most people by while they're making grand plans for it" - movie quote recently stolen from BigKB

“There is always an easy solution to every human problem — neat, plausible and wrong.” - H. L. Mencken

Offline Sear, Just Sear

• Neckbeard's Advocate
  • TZT legend (seek help)
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2017, 08:46:21 PM »
agrul, in my opinion, neuromancer was a good book and, i think, you are wrong

Offline AgelessDrifter

• Sometimes you just rent the monkey ffs
  • TZT legend (seek help)
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2017, 03:22:55 AM »
I never check this thread but today my ears were burning

I have a few books lined up to read but if I read a sci fi or fantasy any time soon (which I also never do) it will probably be Hyperion

Offline Globalberry the Medic

• I have to show ID to get into a PG-13 movie
  • TZT abuser
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2017, 07:38:25 AM »
I read Hyperion in undergrad and I remember nothing about it other than being confused and liking it

Online Agrul

• Speed of Wolf
  • TZT legend (seek help)
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2017, 08:27:17 AM »