Author Topic: What you guys learnin?  (Read 201 times)

Offline terosis

• TZT neophyte
    • View Profile
What you guys learnin?
« on: November 15, 2016, 08:17:32 PM »
About 6 months ago, I transitioned from datacenter (focused mainly on storage and storage networking, virtualization, microsoft/cisco computing platforms) to a strictly cybersecurity role. Decided to take in the Security+ cert to see what all I was missing. Much of the network infra.; BCP/DR; and user access content was a review, but I definitely learned a lot more about cryptography, risk/vulnerability management, incident response, control types, etc.

I'm thinking about diving into incident handling/response. That or the SANS Security Leadership (GSLC).

What you guys learnin? And don't tell me you have kids now because I gotem too.  :cheesy:
Terosis (60 human monk), Quic (65 we druid)

Offline Utumnoberry the Berry Big

• Head Badmin
  • Administrator
  • TZT legend (seek help)
    • View Profile
Re: What you guys learnin?
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2016, 09:18:50 PM »
I really want to do that exact same pivot. You do it on your own or does your current job support it?

Right now learning some automation. Doing Puppet training and python.

But then Tyranny came out and fuck me if that didn't put a big damper on my studies.

"Life passes most people by while they're making grand plans for it" - movie quote recently stolen from BigKB

“There is always an easy solution to every human problem — neat, plausible and wrong.” - H. L. Mencken

Offline Marglar

• Pro "Choice"
  • TZT abuser
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2016, 11:57:45 PM »
powershell and automation are my main areas of focus. I learn mostly on the job though, I am an infrastructure analyst / generalist, my projects are shifting around a lot. I have been getting worked so hard recently, have a new house and a 3 month old puppy to keep up with, I haven't really had downtime to study off the clock.

Offline Sifterberry the Kind

• TZT addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2016, 01:53:39 AM »
Do not study off the clock anymore really. I'm getting old and life is short

Offline terosis

• TZT neophyte
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2016, 04:30:24 PM »
I really want to do that exact same pivot. You do it on your own or does your current job support it?

Right now learning some automation. Doing Puppet training and python.

But then Tyranny came out and fuck me if that didn't put a big damper on my studies.

I transitioned within the same company. I let my boss know I was interested in new opportunities and to keep me in mind... a month later the position opened up, and he asked me if I was interested. I think transitioning to security is easiest within the company since they already know you're worth a damn. And your tribal knowledge of the infrastructure gives you a unique advantage over someone coming in off the street.
Terosis (60 human monk), Quic (65 we druid)

• Head Badmin
  • Administrator
  • TZT legend (seek help)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2016, 07:35:05 PM »
I agree. I actually got verbal  agreement to make this switch at my last company but l like a dumbass I didn't follow through

"Life passes most people by while they're making grand plans for it" - movie quote recently stolen from BigKB

“There is always an easy solution to every human problem — neat, plausible and wrong.” - H. L. Mencken

Offline Shoelayceberry the [Unlaced]

• Quantum of Shoelace
  • Administrator
  • TZT legend (seek help)
  • Would you like some making **** BERSERKER!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2016, 04:38:51 PM »
We lost the only other senior windows admin, like myself, this year. I inherited all of his projects: Brand new Office 365 transition, still in hybrid, and brand new email filtering solution on top of that. I am now 100% responsible for all Enterprise apps: Deltek (Financials) + Unanet (Cloud-based. Supposed to be a replacement that they didn't talk to IT about, didn't do their due diligence, then found out it can't be a full replacement!), ADP Cloud service transition, then manage users/permissions, Xerox DocuShare instance that I didn't help setup and everyone has left who did, Exchange 2007/2010/O365 in hybrid, the main MS SQL Server running all our DBs + 1-2 extra running validation apps, Enterprise Antivirus (SEP), Enterprise config management (Altiris, that I am finally trying to upgrade - again), IT HelpDesk that I am looking to replace with a cloud solution (FreshService), all Mac infrastructure (eventually to be managed by Altiris), researching our remote control tool replacement, and finally, overseeing a team of 2 - soon to be 3 - support Admins. Oh, also our VMware deployment: 5 node cluster for production and validation, 2 node cluster for DMZ, and 5 node cluster for VDI; plus a host here and there at satellite sites. No one - maybe on purpose - had run a cost analysis on VDI. I plan to kill it in the next 12-24mo as our NetApp backend is coming up for support soon (same time line). I may also kill off VMware in favor of Hyper-V since we will already be licensed for the hosts (this also hadn't been done since we went virtual - thank god we never got audited) and the load is slowly shrinking as we kill off old apps.

Also, just because I am a glutton, we waste something like 30% of one of my support admins on video conferencing support. For that and other reasons, I have been in the Skype for Business beta and will be testing their Cloud PBX solution starting in January in an effort to get off Cisco Call Manager and Polycom Video Conferencing. Also, after my O365 training this year, I was approached with a request to leverage our SharePoint Online subscription, so I am studying that at the moment, because the requesters are sitting on a very large grant we just got and need an externally available collaboration tool. I hope to parlay that into a replacement for DocuShare, because I despise the 3rd party we go through for support/anything.

The good news, while I was just promoted this year to Manager, in March, I was promoted again to Senior Manager of IT (with talk of Director in a year or two), so have radically increased my salary this year; plus a few extra days off. I have also already been doing 75% of this work since I saw this day coming a few years ago, so I am used to it. Once I can completely hand off config management, antivirus, and remote control to the lower admins I can forget about those annoyances for good, then I can tackle the infrastructure projects that need to get done, badly.
“At least once every human should have to run for his life, to teach him that milk does not come from supermarkets, that safety does not come from policemen, that “news” is not something that happens to other people.” - Robert Heinlein, The Number of the Beast.

"Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness, that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, and fabulous? Actually, who are you NOT to be? You are a child of God. Your playing small doesn't serve the world. There's nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won't feel insecure around you. We were born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us; it's in everyone. And as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. As we are liberated from our own fears, our presence automatically liberates others." - Nelson Mandela 1994 Inaugural Speech

• Head Badmin
  • Administrator
  • TZT legend (seek help)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2016, 08:08:20 PM »
My new company uses Zoom for videoconferencing and so far I'm highly impressed.

Most vidconf stuff is garbage.  New Skype may be better but it was pretty awful for business last time I used it.

Offline Shoelayceberry the [Unlaced]

• Quantum of Shoelace
  • Administrator
  • TZT legend (seek help)
  • Would you like some making **** BERSERKER!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2016, 01:46:33 PM »
My new company uses Zoom for videoconferencing and so far I'm highly impressed.

Most vidconf stuff is garbage.  New Skype may be better but it was pretty awful for business last time I used it.

I briefly looked at Zoom. We are currently using BlueJeans, which Zoom looked similar to. Our biggest issue with BlueJeans is that we're trying to shoe horn it into our old methods, using our old systems, that need to get upgraded. There is only one person that can do the upgrades, our Network Team lead. He has been in a similar issue to me, as far as too many responsibilities and not enough staff. Our voicemail (Cisco Unity) broke after we moved the entire company to Office 365.

It was never supposed to work, but by some miracle it was, until the server rebooted; this was going to happen anyway since we moved our datacenter to the west coast this year. It was an unexpected break, 1 month before datacenter move, in November 2015. We still don't have automated corporate voicemail; it gets dumped to the undeliverables mailbox and he has to manually forward each one to the proper recipient.

The Vid Conf system is similarly old, needing an upgrade. Further, we no longer have any dedicated conf rooms on the East Coast. Everyone just expects it to keep working, as is. We are able to do this, but at the coast of an enormous amount of skilled IT labor. It's ridiculous.

In our old system (Polycom room units, Tandberg Management and recording) in order to reserve a room and have everything work automagically, you had to make sure to invite the room "as a resource" in Outlook. You could also not book beyond 100 meeting in the future, even though Outlook allowed you to. Everyone fucked those up on a regular basis, causing way more IT involvement than necessary. Plus, since you don't find out that a meeting is fucked up until the second the meeting starts, it became a walk-up "emergency" for us. If you can't tell, I fucking hate Conferencing support. Anyway, the benefit of using SfB, is that it integrates into Office 2016 in Windows and Mac, the room reservation has no bearing on the meeting kicking off, and they can schedule them whenever and where ever they want, without submitting a helpdesk ticket. That's my goal here.
“At least once every human should have to run for his life, to teach him that milk does not come from supermarkets, that safety does not come from policemen, that “news” is not something that happens to other people.” - Robert Heinlein, The Number of the Beast.

"Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness, that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, and fabulous? Actually, who are you NOT to be? You are a child of God. Your playing small doesn't serve the world. There's nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won't feel insecure around you. We were born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us; it's in everyone. And as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. As we are liberated from our own fears, our presence automatically liberates others." - Nelson Mandela 1994 Inaugural Speech

Offline Chemosh

• Ringworm?! ON MY NUTSACK?!?!!
  • TZT addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2017, 08:23:40 PM »
Picking up java and tinkering with android development unsuccessfully

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Offline Sear, Just Sear

• Neckbeard's Advocate
  • TZT legend (seek help)
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2017, 09:47:17 PM »
been teaching myself C# for the past three years (& Java/UnityScript by extension)

+ trying not to fall too far behind on web dev/design, so have spent some time on responsive design and the JS frameworks all the kids are using now (Angular, etc)

I think agrul and Jxands are probably right