Author Topic: Friend completely transformed into a MLM zealot  (Read 254 times)

Offline Sear, Just Sear

• Neckbeard's Advocate
  • TZT legend (seek help)
    • View Profile
Friend completely transformed into a MLM zealot
« on: August 05, 2015, 01:04:26 AM »
Anyone know people who have bought into these?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multi-level_marketing

I dated this girl a while back in LA and thought she was cool as shit at the time - she was real outdoorsy and worked with animals, well-read, etc.

Now she is a walking ad banner who spams her social media with stuff that even evangelical Christians would find obnoxious. Like literally 15+ hashtags after every post (#LIFEHACK #LIVINGTHEDREAM) hawking some grossly overpriced organic fruit juice or hippy workout supplement.

I would not judge anyone who is just trying to get by and pay the bills, but this almost seems like a religion where it's more "take over your entire fucking life" while you profit marginally or not at all. Am I missing anything here or is it just an infectious modern-day pyramid scheme?

Offline Utumnoberry the Berry Big

• Head Badmin
  • Administrator
  • TZT legend (seek help)
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Friend completely transformed into a MLM zealot
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2015, 01:25:22 AM »
This happened to one of my best friends and it actually pains me to talk about it. Literally depressing to contemplate.

"Life passes most people by while they're making grand plans for it" - movie quote recently stolen from BigKB

“There is always an easy solution to every human problem — neat, plausible and wrong.” - H. L. Mencken

Offline Tyrannosaurs Lux

• 2012 Fantasy Football Winner Despite Not Even Playing LOL Ziakas
  • TZT legend (seek help)
    • View Profile
    • teh-lux
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2015, 05:24:53 AM »
It's funny, we make fun of hashtags on social media. The reason why? We don't understand them. We're old. We're not on social media for friends or followers that we don't know. We're not on social media to make money. Well.. a lot of other people are, or even if they didn't start that way, what's the best way to sell your new product? to your friends and family. These things work and people will take notice, you will show up somewhere based on that hashtag and the combined 3 minutes it took you to type #hashie at the end of every post for an entire year will have resulted in increased revenue or exposure(validation). 
<---- Luxberry OUT! :pimp:

\\\"It is said that on a full moon he can fly, and that his tears are a powerful molecular acid."\\\
\\\"People give me daps and hugs so it must be love."  - Ma$e\\\
\\\"I look at the man in the mirror and say that's what's up."  - Soulja Boy\\\

Offline Ziakas

• TZT abuser
  • hi
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2015, 08:06:19 AM »
Some of my family was into Amway for a long time and I think a few still dabble in it. Basically you'll never make money selling the shit, you make your money selling the idea of selling shit to other people below you, and the collect a % of their earnings indefinitely. Would that make it a pyramid scheme? The stuff you sell is pretty mundane really. I remember enjoying going to my Aunt and Uncle's house because their unlimited Gardettos and Famous Amos from the sampler packs you give away to people. Also some Amway branded juice boxes. The downside to juice boxes is that they're so tiny, but when they're unlimited and free they're pretty awesome.

Offline Tucc it

• Benny the Starks
  • TZT abuser
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2015, 08:29:23 AM »
the wraps and the juice and all of that shit it cracks me up.  It's always fat bitches slinging that shit. 

Offline Czer

• Shiite Peter Jennings
  • TZT abuser
  • I'm a poor person. The lambo is my cousin's.
    • MSN Messenger - dimedime88@Hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Seiphen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2015, 11:43:14 AM »

Offline kilinickic

• How is Kili Formed?
  • TZT legend (seek help)
  • 6,000 feet beyond man and time
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2015, 11:59:38 AM »
people in utah are huge into MLM  schemes
Quote from: AgelessDrifter
It's hard to quantify exactly what makes Kilinitic Kilinitic, but it's definitely there.
Quote from: Mercurien
Quote from: Sanlaven
If it's a Kilinitic post I fucking READ it.

Offline Sanlaven

• Elton John fan
  • TZT abuser
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2015, 12:18:48 PM »
Penn and Teller covered this pretty well:

http://mlmrehab.com/easy-money/

Offline Sear, Just Sear

• Neckbeard's Advocate
  • TZT legend (seek help)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2015, 02:15:38 PM »
It's funny, we make fun of hashtags on social media. The reason why? We don't understand them. We're old. We're not on social media for friends or followers that we don't know. We're not on social media to make money. Well.. a lot of other people are, or even if they didn't start that way, what's the best way to sell your new product? to your friends and family. These things work and people will take notice, you will show up somewhere based on that hashtag and the combined 3 minutes it took you to type #hashie at the end of every post for an entire year will have resulted in increased revenue or exposure(validation).

I understand the concept of hashtags.

I think there's a graceful way to market on social media where you don't come across as completely insincere and fall into the trap of believing that shameless spamming is the most effective method of advertising or communicating with people.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2015, 06:55:09 PM by Sear, Just Sear »

Offline Ziakas

• TZT abuser
  • hi
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2015, 02:34:23 PM »
The good thing about twitter is you can unfollow people that spam too much.

Offline Sear, Just Sear

• Neckbeard's Advocate
  • TZT legend (seek help)
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2015, 02:38:55 PM »
also Bailon does a pretty swell job of blending professional and personal.

imagine if it was like this

Offline Sear, Just Sear

• Neckbeard's Advocate
  • TZT legend (seek help)
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2015, 04:02:44 PM »
http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Zija

Zija is an American multi-level marketing company founded in 2005 by Kenneth Brailsford.
Zija sells nutritional products using a business model similar to illegal pyramid schemes. The products are based on the moringa tree, which has been used in traditional medicine for centuries.
Zija's compensation plan is designed to reward recruiting, not selling products to end customers.[1] The products are overpriced,[citation needed] and the consultants that sign up to the business opportunity are forced to buy a significant amount of product each month to stay qualified. In fact, most of the product price is a fee to participate in the scheme.[citation needed]
To defend the extreme prices the company has to make substantial claims about the alleged health benefits of their products.[citation needed] However, the marketing language is vague, like "improvements in digestion, vision, mental clarity, overall well-being, plus a reduction in symptoms associated with fatigue, diabetes, high blood pressure, arthritis, and aging."[citation needed] But in the training sessions the distributors are urged to use personal anecdotes about which illnesses and diseases the Zija products have cured them or other people from.[citation needed] There is no good scientific documentation of any claim that the moringa products could cure or prevent any disease.
Zija has experienced success among religious groups as Mormons and Amish, and the company has been criticized for promoting their products as an alternative to conventional cancer therapy for the young aAish girl Sarah Hershberger.[2] Kenneth Brailsford is also a respected Mormon.[citation needed] In 1988 he was fined $100,000 by NASD for illegal stock manipulating.[3] In 2001 his company Nature's Sunshine received an official warning from FDA for violating the Federal Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Act.[4]
One of the reasons that Zija has grown for the last years is that it succeeded in attracting a lot of the members from Fortune High-Tech Marketing when it was closed by SEC in 2013 for operating an illegal pyramid scheme.[citation needed] The founder of FHTM, Paul Orberson, was denied any involvement with any network marketing company for five years, but by using his wife's identity he managed to rebuild a big network in Zija before he died of kidney cancer.[5]

sounds about what I expected

more sleazy fucking bullshit preying on people who need a direction

Offline Bailon

• Madness?! THIS..IS..BAILON!
  • TZT legend (seek help)
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2015, 04:34:04 PM »
Dude, can I use that for my flyers ? 

Offline Harper, Just Harper

• Hillary's Nutcup
  • TZT addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2015, 04:56:44 PM »
Youtube ads always give me that weird charisma-vacuum in a garage talking about someone else's cars.

Offline Sear, Just Sear

• Neckbeard's Advocate
  • TZT legend (seek help)
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2015, 07:02:30 PM »
Bailon of course pal. Hashtag the fuck out of it.

Should I be apathetic about the fact that these companies even exist? You'd think the concept of MLM would violate a few laws (something close to fraud), but I guess not.

America is the land where the spaceship celebrity religion gets a tax exemption.

Offline Barammerberry the Resurgent

• sports standard 2:1 ratio
  • TZT addict
    • AOL Instant Messenger - NSchaefer919
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2015, 08:29:35 PM »
I'd be interested in reading some psych / soc. studies on this subject. We had a lawyer at my office go out on maternity leave and never come back because she was selling a bunch of like...pyramid scheme bullshit on the internet?

Offline xanontz

• always just background noise
  • TZT abuser
    • AOL Instant Messenger - nonaxclaytz
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2015, 09:46:35 PM »
not much to the pysch of it - just the endless cycle of dumb people and suckers constantly funneling money to one another.

• TZT addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2015, 10:35:41 PM »
Yeah, I guess wishful thinking + echo chamber

• TZT addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2015, 10:36:05 PM »
And people would rather come talk about it in private rather than say something to their face.

Offline Sear, Just Sear

• Neckbeard's Advocate
  • TZT legend (seek help)
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2015, 11:09:04 PM »
Yeah that's kinda like telling someone their religious views are wrong. All you're going to accomplish is coming across like an asshole and pissing them off.

I don't actually care about this person enough to do that, anyway. She was an example for the sake of discussion on how these MLM companies seem to influence people.

Offline Utumnoberry the Berry Big

• Head Badmin
  • Administrator
  • TZT legend (seek help)
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: August 07, 2015, 02:47:24 AM »
i told my pal to her face how sad it made me.

she assured me she had no intention of pressuring me (true) and that it would not affect our friendship (false).

haven't talked to her since.   :bick:

"Life passes most people by while they're making grand plans for it" - movie quote recently stolen from BigKB

“There is always an easy solution to every human problem — neat, plausible and wrong.” - H. L. Mencken