Author Topic: Mechanical Keyboard  (Read 350 times)

Offline Sanlaven

• Elton John fan
  • TZT abuser
    • View Profile
Mechanical Keyboard
« on: January 09, 2016, 04:38:00 PM »
Ordered a Ducky Shine 5 awhile back and it came yesterday. Cherry Red MX switches. Loving it so far. I had heard a couple people on here talking about using mechanical keyboard (I know Knitting had a Filco that just died not too long ago). I highly recommend getting one if you've ever been on the fence about it but haven't pulled the trigger.

Offline AgelessDrifter

• Sometimes you just rent the monkey ffs
  • TZT legend (seek help)
    • MSN Messenger - the__drifter@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - AgelessDrifter
    • View Profile
Re: Mechanical Keyboard
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2016, 06:08:15 PM »
I've always been curious to try one, but I just have my MS Surface Pro II at this point and it wouldn't really make sense to lug something like that around

I do wish I had dropped a few more bucks and gotten a type cover or a power cover for this thing instead of the touch cover

Offline Sanlaven

• Elton John fan
  • TZT abuser
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2016, 06:50:32 PM »
I've always been curious to try one, but I just have my MS Surface Pro II at this point and it wouldn't really make sense to lug something like that around

I do wish I had dropped a few more bucks and gotten a type cover or a power cover for this thing instead of the touch cover

Yeah if you're in a laptop/tablet only type situation right now it doesn't really make sense. The difference between typing on this vs. my girlfriend's new Macbook (one of the worst typing surfaces, barely more responsive than typing on an iPad screen) is incredible.

Offline Sear, Just Sear

• Neckbeard's Advocate
  • TZT legend (seek help)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2016, 06:50:50 PM »
Tried a $120 Corsair mechanical and it was unusable for me.

I found that even the slightest amount of pressure would register a keypress unintentionally. I always rested my left hand on the keyboard when I played LoL, so this was bad times of accidentally using abilities.

They're extremely responsive if that's your personal preference. Apple keyboard is my favorite because the keys are uniform (+ short height) but you have to push them in firmly to register a keystroke.

Offline Sanlaven

• Elton John fan
  • TZT abuser
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2016, 06:53:22 PM »
Tried a $120 Corsair mechanical and it was unusable for me.

I found that even the slightest amount of pressure would register a keypress unintentionally. I always rested my left hand on the keyboard when I played LoL, so this was bad times of accidentally using abilities.

They're extremely responsive if that's your personal preference. Apple keyboard is my favorite because the keys are uniform (+ short height) but you have to push them in firmly to register a keystroke.

It may depend on what type of switches you have as far as your experience with it goes. I don't really have a problem with unintentional keystrokes. I almost bought a Corsair but read some negative reviews and basically narrowed down to Filco vs. Ducky vs. WASD keyboard.

Offline Agrul

• Speed of Wolf
  • TZT legend (seek help)
    • AOL Instant Messenger - RabidAltruism
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2016, 07:45:19 PM »
what's good about mechanical keyboards? why are they superior
Irony punctuation is any proposed form of notation used to denote irony or sarcasm in text. Written English lacks a standard way to mark irony, and several forms of punctuation have been proposed. Among the oldest and most frequently attested are the percontation point proposed by English printer Henry Denham in the 1580s, and the irony mark, used by Marcellin Jobard and French poet Alcanter de Brahm during the 19th century. Both marks take the form of a reversed question mark, "⸮".

Offline Sanlaven

• Elton John fan
  • TZT abuser
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2016, 08:06:25 PM »
You can bludgeon someone to death with one and probably go back to using it with no problems with functionality

Offline Sear, Just Sear

• Neckbeard's Advocate
  • TZT legend (seek help)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2016, 08:12:49 PM »
Perfect for the Serious Gamer.

Offline Sanlaven

• Elton John fan
  • TZT abuser
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2016, 08:29:47 PM »
Really though, they're just more enjoyable for typing, and are objectively better for it as well. I like the tactile feedback. They also have a higher build quality, are more durable, etc. They're probably not for everyone, but having a desktop PC at home that is used regularly makes them a solid investment I think.

Offline Aro the G

• Aro
  • TZT legend (seek help)
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2016, 09:31:23 PM »
I always spill shit on my keyboard so for the longest time I just kept buying the $20 keyboard.

Then I bought a washable keyboard that I've been gaming on ever since, I like the way it types.

I bought a Nostromo to string together macros on my bard when we were playing garage box, it is mechanical and while it feels nice and satisfying to click, it doesn't seem that much different.

Offline Agrul

• Speed of Wolf
  • TZT legend (seek help)
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2016, 09:41:17 PM »
ur keyboard looks awfully unmechanical

is the new pointy elbows
Irony punctuation is any proposed form of notation used to denote irony or sarcasm in text. Written English lacks a standard way to mark irony, and several forms of punctuation have been proposed. Among the oldest and most frequently attested are the percontation point proposed by English printer Henry Denham in the 1580s, and the irony mark, used by Marcellin Jobard and French poet Alcanter de Brahm during the 19th century. Both marks take the form of a reversed question mark, "⸮".

Offline Naavi

• Shilling for PhRMA since 2009
  • TZTV Kingpin
  • TZT abuser
  • I'd rather us be strangers!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - BlurrSequence
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2016, 10:47:05 PM »
I use an FL Esports mechanical with cherry MX switches. i love typing on it. the only negative really is that its a lot louder than any other crap keyboard. so if wife is asleep she will wake up when i get super angsty at a meanie pker.

I also ordered the shit to put together an ErgoDox (https://www.massdrop.com/buy/infinity-ergodox) to seriously nerd out.
fuck this board hard!

Offline Sear, Just Sear

• Neckbeard's Advocate
  • TZT legend (seek help)
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2016, 10:53:39 PM »
what's good about mechanical keyboards? why are they superior

"Cherry MX Switches" sounds cool

do u really need another reason

what's with agrul wanting a reason for everything geez

Offline Utumnoberry the Berry Big

• Head Badmin
  • Administrator
  • TZT legend (seek help)
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2016, 05:23:47 AM »
bought the cmstorm for both home and work.

super happy with it.

"Life passes most people by while they're making grand plans for it" - movie quote recently stolen from BigKB

“There is always an easy solution to every human problem — neat, plausible and wrong.” - H. L. Mencken

Offline pupu von knitting

• Seriously Postal
  • TZT legend (seek help)
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2016, 10:42:44 AM »
i use brown switches myself, and not just because i don't wash my hands

Offline Agrul

• Speed of Wolf
  • TZT legend (seek help)
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2016, 10:44:51 AM »
cherry mx switches does sound rlly kewl

Offline pupu von knitting

• Seriously Postal
  • TZT legend (seek help)
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2016, 10:47:21 AM »
the main bit is that mechazordboards just tend to feel better on the hands

sorry to hear sear - not a problem for me since i never keep the keyboard on the desk, but instead in my lap

replaced my filco2 with another filco2 - build quality has gone down since my first one, but the price also dropped $60 so there's that

Offline Czer

• Shiite Peter Jennings
  • TZT abuser
  • I'm a poor person. The lambo is my cousin's.
    • MSN Messenger - dimedime88@Hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Seiphen
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2016, 06:00:48 PM »
nigga please, all bout dat buckling spring keyboard

http://www.pckeyboard.com/

Offline Utumnoberry the Berry Big

• Head Badmin
  • Administrator
  • TZT legend (seek help)
    • View Profile
    • Email

"Life passes most people by while they're making grand plans for it" - movie quote recently stolen from BigKB

“There is always an easy solution to every human problem — neat, plausible and wrong.” - H. L. Mencken

Offline Sanlaven

• Elton John fan
  • TZT abuser
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2016, 07:14:49 PM »
I'm not sure what switches would be best for someone like Searyx. Blacks and reds are supposed to be more gaming-oriented (allowing for easier double-taps and such), while browns and blues are better for typing.

Offline Czer

• Shiite Peter Jennings
  • TZT abuser
  • I'm a poor person. The lambo is my cousin's.
    • MSN Messenger - dimedime88@Hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Seiphen
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2016, 12:04:22 PM »
If you want a really nice mechanical, get a Das.

http://www.daskeyboard.com/

Offline Sanlaven

• Elton John fan
  • TZT abuser
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2016, 12:12:10 PM »
If you want a really nice mechanical, get a Das.

http://www.daskeyboard.com/

I looked at those, too. They're also highly recommended from what I can tell.

Offline Kacer of the Boobies

• Bogan Internetter Who Trolls (CHEATED OUT OF THE ONE MILLIONTH POST)
  • TZT legend (seek help)
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 16, 2016, 06:40:28 AM »
I always spill shit on my keyboard so for the longest time I just kept buying the $20 keyboard.

I think this is why I've used this damn Logitech G15 for so long, I spill crap on it all the time and it never dies on me. 

[Awsome] 6:08 pm: FUCK YOU YOU MOTHER FUCKERS WOMAN HATING ASSHOLE BASTARDS!
Granted I'm just some random guy on the internet without a college degree and this is based off of the deep analysis of his postings, most of which are pictures of cats wearing silly hats, so I'm guessing my degree of correctness to be somewhere around exactly 100%.
you can quote all of my posts if you like

Offline Ladies and Gentlemen

• Sanaleb
  • TZT addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 21, 2016, 01:19:15 AM »
i have the corsair mechanical with cherry mx red (K70 i think?), i really like it.  The keys are much taller than a standard keyboard and the click-feedback makes it obvious you aren't missing a stroke.  The keys and shit all come off without breaking them so they're easy to clean if you spill shit on it.  Also has multiple levels of red LED backlight (cause cherries are red) so I can turbo nerd out with only light from my computer monitors and my red LED keyboard at 3am.  Downside: wakes up girlfriend, you definitely can't use it around light sleepers as the CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK will wake anyone up basically instantly.