Offline Harper, Just Harper

• Hillary's Nutcup
  • TZT addict
    • View Profile
Arrival
« on: November 16, 2016, 12:41:39 PM »
2/5 matt damons

my least favorite Denis Villeneuve move

had the potential to go fucking nuts but was very linear and clichéd - don't watch

Offline Utumnoberry the Berry Big

• Head Badmin
  • Administrator
  • TZT legend (seek help)
    • View Profile
Re: Arrival
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2016, 06:33:13 PM »
8.5 on imdb, 93% on rotten tomatoes.

why do you hate success/america?

"Life passes most people by while they're making grand plans for it" - movie quote recently stolen from BigKB

“There is always an easy solution to every human problem — neat, plausible and wrong.” - H. L. Mencken

Offline Redberry the Vicious

• Beans counter
  • TZT legend (seek help)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2016, 06:36:34 PM »
Harper lets play drunk league tonight

• Hillary's Nutcup
  • TZT addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2016, 06:38:53 PM »
because it's really well directed and acted but the story teases a lot of interesting concepts then doesn't explore them in any depth. the last 1/3rd was especially disappointing

I'd be interested in any tzter's opinion who liked it

• Hillary's Nutcup
  • TZT addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2016, 06:39:30 PM »
red i'd play drunk LoL this Sunday

Offline xanontz

• always just background noise
  • TZT abuser
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2016, 07:12:40 PM »
the best is Amy Adams linguistic character who is brought in after a few days to help communicate with the aliens and she's just praised and worshiped because she's the first one who thinks to use writing/visual aids to communicate and not just trying to talk (and it's not even her first idea  :rolleyes: )

If you're a Vonnegut fan it's amusing cause it's a nice little homage of sorts to Slaughterhouse 5. It's just also obvious it was a really interesting story bastardized by hollywood. There's like half assed attempts at cool philosophy behind time travel, half assed interesting bits on communication and linguistics, half assed story on geopolitical turmoil over a global alien contact and half assed cheesy melodrama added to the protagonist to create useless tension.

it'll keep you interested for 2 hours but meh. I'd go 2.5/5 Damons, gets an extra .5 for the Talfamadores.

• Hillary's Nutcup
  • TZT addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2016, 08:02:34 PM »
Yep

Offline AgelessDrifter

• Sometimes you just rent the monkey ffs
  • TZT legend (seek help)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2016, 10:33:27 PM »
That's disappointing. I thought it was going to be centered around the linguist and it seemed like they might go some interesting directions with that, but I guess not

Offline Bailon

• Madness?! THIS..IS..BAILON!
  • TZT legend (seek help)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2016, 11:41:24 PM »
Jeremy Renner exists to hug her at the end.

Offline Redberry the Vicious

• Beans counter
  • TZT legend (seek help)
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2016, 01:51:20 AM »
red i'd play drunk LoL this Sunday
I work this weekend :(

Offline Samassi

• Life's too short to not have sex with a Chinese albino
  • TZT addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2016, 06:11:53 AM »
I wish they'd stop making rubbish like this and just film Rendezvous with Rama.

Offline xanontz

• TZT abuser
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2016, 10:11:18 AM »
That's disappointing. I thought it was going to be centered around the linguist and it seemed like they might go some interesting directions with that, but I guess not

it definitely was interesting and very cool and intriguing in as much as how would you communicate with a species that evolved so differently. Sci Fi alien communication is always like "oh man, they're so advanced they communicate telepathically" but always rooted in some form of sonic/auditory communication. But this is more along the lines of if a life form had evolved like ants who communicate with pheromones, giving off a pheromone that can convey an entire thought process.

It's just gets marred by all the other plots. And becomes just a B story. and everything going on feels like just a B story, no good solid main plot, and they try to wrap it up all nicely with a pseudo philosophical line towards the end that is college freshman levels of cringe worthy.

Offline Bailon

• Madness?! THIS..IS..BAILON!
  • TZT legend (seek help)
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2016, 12:12:33 PM »
Yes, the movie had great sound, great visual, great performance and pretty much nothing else.  It felt great, but lacked pretty much any solid thru line.  The story felt exactly how xanon describes it, a bunch of half assed b-stories.

Offline AgelessDrifter

• TZT legend (seek help)
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2016, 12:28:34 PM »
Hmm, maybe I'll give it a shot anyway. If it sucks as bad as ya'll say at least I can complain about it, we all know I love that

Offline xanontz

• TZT abuser
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2016, 12:35:35 PM »
i actually wouldnt go so far as to say it sucks. just sort of over analyzing it cause it's the biggest hyped flick out atm and first oscar darling film. Worth seeing on big screen for the visuals, great cinematography, and sound, maybe a bit too hard in the 2001 attempt but still worth it. But the story of it is of a wait until you can stream it/rent it quality.

Offline AgelessDrifter

• TZT legend (seek help)
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2016, 12:44:54 PM »
i actually wouldnt go so far as to say it sucks. just sort of over analyzing it cause it's the biggest hyped flick out atm and first oscar darling film. Worth seeing on big screen for the visuals, great cinematography, and sound, maybe a bit too hard in the 2001 attempt but still worth it. But the story of it is of a wait until you can stream it/rent it quality.
Ah, yeah I hear ya. That's probably pretty much how I'll come away feeling--I don't have much stomach for Oscar fodder

Offline Chemosh

• Ringworm?! ON MY NUTSACK?!?!!
  • TZT addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2016, 11:55:35 PM »
I haven't seen it yet, but what your saying reminds me how I felt with Interstellar. It was on the verge of being so great, but was only a really good "ok" flick

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Offline AgelessDrifter

• TZT legend (seek help)
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2016, 12:08:44 AM »
I haven't seen it yet, but what your saying reminds me how I felt with Interstellar. It was on the verge of being so great, but was only a really good "ok" flick

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I felt the same way about Interstellar. There was nothing especially wrong with it, but for as hard as they went in the paint with weirdness at the end it just wasn't quite as mind-bending as, say, Contact was back in its day (although of course nowadays that movie seems really pedestrian). I'm not sure I could put my finger on what was missing exactly--definitely not without watching it again--but there was definitely something.

• Head Badmin
  • Administrator
  • TZT legend (seek help)
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2016, 04:11:33 AM »
Welp, you knew this was coming didn't you?

I actually enjoyed it.  I always consider the possibility of expectations affecting enjoyment, and w/so much bad feedback here on ye olde TZT, I kindof went in expecting garbage (well, not exactly because I still put a lot of stock in imdb ratings too) so was pleasantly surprised.

I do agree w/the OP that it felt like they could have dug much deeper - that's definitely fair criticism.  That said, the thing I disagree w/most in this thread is comparisons to Interstellar.  That was an ultimately empty shell of a movie, pure scenery and maybe bits of suspense w/absolutely nothing to say.  I thought this at least had more than that.  I thought Interstellar was massively overrated, I think maybe this one I'd say is slightly so.

It could have delved deeper into our inability as a species to cooperate and not be self-centered twats, or the ramifications of seeing your entire life and making choices despite that, and yes of course you can always rightfully poke at how bumbling/silly a lot of people are.  But I think they did well enough in each of those areas w/out knocking it out of the park.

4/5 matt damons for me, but something i have no interest in watching again - was not "enjoyable" in that sense... a little thought provoking on first see-through was all i expected and got

"Life passes most people by while they're making grand plans for it" - movie quote recently stolen from BigKB

“There is always an easy solution to every human problem — neat, plausible and wrong.” - H. L. Mencken

Offline xanontz

• TZT abuser
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 19, 2016, 08:46:26 AM »
Utumno you are the worst.

• Head Badmin
  • Administrator
  • TZT legend (seek help)
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 19, 2016, 09:02:18 AM »

Offline Agrul

• Speed of Wolf
  • TZT legend (seek help)
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 19, 2016, 12:25:23 PM »
utumno u r the best i heart u :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten:

Irony punctuation is any proposed form of notation used to denote irony or sarcasm in text. Written English lacks a standard way to mark irony, and several forms of punctuation have been proposed. Among the oldest and most frequently attested are the percontation point proposed by English printer Henry Denham in the 1580s, and the irony mark, used by Marcellin Jobard and French poet Alcanter de Brahm during the 19th century. Both marks take the form of a reversed question mark, "⸮".